What’s the Secret to Being Creative?
For some people, getting the creative juices to flow is easy. For others, just thinking the words “I must be creative” stops all color, all ideas, all flow. If you’re like me, and you find yourself in this category at times, don’t despair. There are solutions.
Creative Energy is Elusive.
A creative spark can appear and disappear just as quickly. The secret to staying productive as any kind of artist is to discover how to switch that light on and off at your will.
A Creative Muse Can Help.
A creative muse can be found in everything. It lives in a sunset, in a star, in a bird’s chirp, and in the melody of a beautiful song. The greatest part about this is that every creative person has access to this inner muse.
The trick to finding yours is tapping into your senses and letting them fly freely. Once you set your senses free, you enter a zone where you can create a world that touches and inspires others.
So how do you tap into your creative inner muse?
You have to clear your mind and here’s how.
I challenge you to experiment with the following actions to see which one most effectively gets you into that creative zone.
1. Sit quietly and listen to music.
2. Create a collage of colors, shapes, and words. Then, stare at it through unfocused eyes.
3. Free write for ten minutes. Set a timer and write without any regard for grammar, spelling or logic. Just write whatever pops into your mind and don’t stop to analyze or think.
4. Get up and move for ten minutes. Break out into a light jog, brisk walk, jumping jacks, whatever you can safely perform.
5. Read quotes.
6. Meditate or pray.
7. Go out into nature. Sit on a park bench. Stare up at a tree. Admire a flower.
8. Play with color. Get a paint brush and splash paint on a canvas or color on paper with a crayon.
Okay so there you have it, eight solutions that can help free your mind so you can find your inner muse and get those creative juices flowing.
Try them and please share your feelings on this little challenge. Did it work? Are you feeling more creative?